I love this time of year! May be because it is the beginning of cool weather and the holiday season. Halloween is just two weeks away, so I thought it will be fun to share some fun Halloween treats. Witches broom cookies! Oh yeah…. These witches broom would be perfect Halloween and easy to make. Kids can also have fun making this yummy treats. Now roll up those sleeves, kids wash your hands, put on your apron, and start making these delicious treats! Enjoy..
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup of granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
dash of salt
yan yan snack sticks
2 teaspoons shortening ( I used canola oil)
2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup butterscotch chips
1/2 teaspoon shortening (canola oil)
- Heat oven to 350.
- Beat sugar, butter, water and vanilla. Add flour and salt. Shape dough into 1 1/4 ” balls.
- Place yan yan stick on ungreased cookie sheets. Press dough ball into stick.
- Press dough with fork to resemble bristles of a a broom. Remove stick carefully. Bake 10 minutes without stick. Put the stick back and bake for 2-4 more minutes.
- Microwave chocolate chips and canola oil to get thin consistency. Spread melted chocolate over brooms and the base of broom handle.
- Microwave butterscotch chips and canola oil and then use a fork to “whisk it back and forth” across chocolate. I found that if I just waved fork tongs over the chocolate it was more natural and didn’t clump.