Holi festival is usually celebrated to mark the end of chilly winters and the onset of spring harvest time. In India, Holi celebrated by throwing powdered colors at people, and water filled balloons are the main highlights. Oh yeah, I miss rubbing color on people’s face’, and best of all… smelling the sweet scents of springtime in the air. This is also a time when people tend to indulge themselves with yummy food and drinks. Drinking thandia with “Bhaang” is a popular ritual during this festival. And for those who weren’t allowed to drink this slightly alcoholic drink, the alternative was no alcohol thandia or/and Kaanji. Last year I made Carrot Beet Kanji for holi gettogether, took pictures too but that couldn’t come to the blog. This time I thought let’s treat you with this refreshing aromatic drink for the festival of holi. I adapted the method a little to make it more suitable for life here, but the flavours are the same. It’s fermented aroma is something that is unmatched and love the color of this drink.
Kanji is rich in Probiotics .Probiotics seem to be more popular than chia seeds, quinoa now a days but what are these?
Let’s backup littlebit………When we have sore throat, cough, ear ache etc doctor gives you antibiotics to cure our illness. But what Antibiotics are really doing? They are specifically kills or inhibit the growth of all bacteria. What about good becteria? They are also gone. So what is the role of probiotics here? Well, when you lose “good” bacteria in your body, probiotics can help replace them. They can lower the amount of “bad” bacteria in your system that can cause infections or other problems. They can help balance your “good” and “bad” bacteria to keep your body working like it should.
There are lots of benefits. Here are some of those.
- Probiotics are great friend to our gut function. Helps in digestion. Probiotics help move food through your gut
- It improves our immune system
- Improves skin health
- Delay allergies in children
- Protect against cancer development and progression
- Prevent eczema in children
- Prevent urinary tract infections in women…………..
Probiotic rich foods ! here are few of them. Fermented Products, Kanji, Plain unflavored yogurt, Kefir, Pickles,Tempeh, Kimchi, Kombucha tea, ,Sauerkraut, Miso and many more……
- 8 cups Water
- 1 1/4 tbsp Mustard or rai powder
- 1 ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black salt (kala namak)
- Pinch of Asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 tsp Red chili powder
- Carrots (orange or purple) – 2 medium, peeled and julienned
- Beetroot – 1, peeled and julienned
- Boil 8 cups of water. When the water boils, remove pan from fire and let it cool.
- In a pitcher or jar with a lid, add all of the ingredients in the water and mix well.
- Add Carrots and Beets.
- Keep the pitcher in the sun for 2-4 days, make sure to stir it once or twice daily.
- After 2-4 days when it turns sour, it can be kept in the refrigerator and used as required.
- Serve chilled. Carrots and Beets can be eaten.
- Kanji remains fresh for up to 2 week in refrigerator.
- Enjoy !!!!1
Happy Holi !!!
Important: Please be mindful of the amount of water you use and avoid any wastage. Play safe and think about our environment too.