Though you can buy it at an indian food store, making this at a home is simple and easy, also it is much more economical, super easy, without any added preservatives and homemade chutney tastes much better than the store-bought ones! If you make chaats more often, just like me, you can prepare these chutneys and store them in the freezer. It will definitely save some time.
- 1/2 cup dates (pitted and chopped)
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder (or according to taste)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/8 tsp dry ginger powder
- 4 tsps mango powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 3 cups water
- 5 tsps sugar
- 1/2 tsp black salt
- 1/2 tsp Salt (or according to taste)
- Boil chopped dates in 2 cups water over low flame until soft (approx. 10 minutes) or cook it with 2 cups water in pressure cooker for 2 whistles.
- Let it cool and then puree them with water using blender or mixer.
- Transfer puree in a medium size pan and bring it to boil over medium flame.
- Add dry mango powder and cook over low flame for approx. 4-5 minutes. Stir occasionally in between.
- Turn off flame, add red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala, and black salt; mix all ingredients well. Taste it for salt and spices, add more salt/spices if required and turn off the flame. Let it cool at room temperature.
- Transfer cooled chutney to serving bowl and serve with snacks you have prepared. Or transfer it to airtight container and store in freezer for up to 1 month and use whenever you need it.
- Enjoy !!!!!!
Check out : Green Chutney (Coriander and mint Chutney) here